On June 24, 2014, my youngest son, Kody Cook, died from an accidental overdose of methadone and clonazepam. Kody was just 20 years old. Kody left behind family and many friends. Our lives have been shattered by this loss. Kody had an unforgettable smile and a great sense of humor. He was a loving, kind,… Continue reading Kody Cook, another young Nova Scotian lost to RX drugs
In March 2011 I lost my younger brother Josh to an accidental overdose of hydromorphone. I started raising awareness regarding the prescription drug epidemic, more specifically opioids in my local community. This was the birth of Get Prescription Drugs off the Street (GPDOTS) and began my mission to bring awareness, education, and accountability to the… Continue reading The opioid epidemic – So you want to talk about personal responsibility?
The WordPress.com stats helper monkeys prepared a 2014 annual report for this blog. Here’s an excerpt: The concert hall at the Sydney Opera House holds 2,700 people. This blog was viewed about 24,000 times in 2014. If it were a concert at Sydney Opera House, it would take about 9 sold-out performances for that many… Continue reading GPDOTS 2014 in review
When I think of the many memories of Joshua, I can’t help but smile”. “He was the most unique person and just so full of love and life.” Joshua was the third of four children, with an older brother and sister and another younger brother. A happy-go-lucky, boisterous child, he grew into a teen and… Continue reading Joshua Ballard’s Story
Over the past few weeks Get Prescription Drugs off the Street Society has been collecting signatures from stakeholders and the public urging Health Canada to deny the approval of the powerful new pain narcotic Zohydro ER. We would like to create as much public awareness as possible in relation to the possible approval of Zohydro… Continue reading GPDOTS urges Health Canada to deny approval of Zohydro